Hello from Pitchfork & Crow ~
We’re harvesting for the Salem Saturday Market! Here’s a selection of what we’ll be bringing to market:
- Cauliflower (our overwintered cauliflower is on!)
- Potatoes (Only fingerlings this week)
- Prize Choy
- Radishes (Just a handful of bunches this week)
- Rutabagas (aka our infamous juicing Huge-abagas! We hear they make good fries too.)
- Spinach (Only the best spinach we’ve ever grown!)
- Spring Salad Mix (more lettuce!)
- Sunchokes (aka Jerusalem Artichokes)
We’re headed to Market tomorrow with a whole lotta tasty overwintered cauliflower in tow. Our supplies of many other offerings are dwindling but this is the week for cauliflower and we’re not about to pass it up. We’re counting on you getting in on the cauli action too!
Over the past week we’ve kept busy planting in the field during the sunnier moments and catching up on sowing seeds during the rainier ones. The propagation house had emptied over the past couple of weeks as we readied to transplant starts but we’ve quickly filled it up again. With help from our visiting nieces last weekend we started our winter squash and pumpkins and the first rounds of cucumbers and summer squash. It feels like summer must not be too far off if it’s time to sow squash seeds. We hear there’s more dry weather just around the corner and we’re looking forward to planting out onions, leeks, and potatoes. For now though, we’re planning for a great day at Market!
We hope to see you Saturday sometime between 9am and 3pm. You can find us at the Salem Saturday Market near the intersection of Winter and Union streets in downtown Salem.
Carri Heisler and Jeff Bramlett