January 31, 2023 Update
The 2023 Summer CSA is full! After just two weeks of taking sign-ups we’re full up for the upcoming Summer CSA season. Many thanks to everyone who jumped in so quickly! We appreciate your support this season.
Missed out on snagging a Summer CSA spot? Click here to get added to the waitlist and we’ll be in touch if a spot opens up.
– Carri & Jeff
4 Steps to Joining the Pitchfork & Crow CSA:
- Step 1: Review the Summer CSA season details further down this page.
- Step 2: Fill out and submit the member sign-up form during the sign-up window.
- Step 3: Receive an emailed invoice from Pitchfork & Crow within 48hrs.
- Step 4: Pay first payment by mailing us a check, having your bank mail us a check, or paying online here: https://pitchforkandcrow.com/csa-payments/.
What is Community Supported Agriculture?
CSAs are supported by community members who pre-pay for a weekly share of the farm harvest. This pre-payment helps provide stable financing for farming operations, allowing your farmers to focus on thorough planning and quality care of the soil and crops. A CSA provides members the knowledge of where and how their food is grown.
Focused on the local community, a CSA lessens travel time between harvest and cooking, increasing nutritional content and lessening environmental impacts of transportation. CSAs help build local economies and protect valuable farm land from urbanization and most importantly, produce good food for local community members.
2023 Pitchfork & Crow Summer CSA @ a glance:
- Two share options! $806 for a weekly share or $468 for a bi-weekly share.
- 6 months of local, seasonal, certified organic vegetables (June thru the week of Thanksgiving)
- A mix of 9-15 vegetables and fruits each week.
- A diverse selection of vegetables throughout the season, including many open-pollinated varieties.
- Weekly newsletters that include recipes and farm updates.
- Two convenient pick-up options: one near downtown Salem, at the Willamette Heritage Center, and one in Lebanon at the farm just north of town.
- Know your farm, know your farmers, know your food!
All the Summer CSA Details
Vegetables & Share Size
We offer one CSA share size but have added a bi-weekly share option. You can now choose to invest in a weekly share of the harvest or a bi-weekly share where you pick up every other week.
Our goal is to provide a diverse mix of seasonal vegetables from week-to-week, including many familiar vegetables and some less familiar varieties. Lettuce or salad mix will be included in the share most weeks. Favorites like carrots, broccoli, and tomatoes will make many appearances in the share and we’ll round out the variety by including less familiar vegetables like kohlrabi, fennel, and celeriac a few times throughout the season.
We also try to include fruit when available and in season. We have several small orchards and include pears and apples when available.
- Our share size should easily feed a family of four or two vegetable-loving adults.
- Want to know what crops we’re growing this season? A list of the vegetables we are planning to grow this next year and their projected harvest months can be found here.
CSA Season Length
The Summer CSA season will run 26 weeks, from the last week of May through the fourth week of November. That’s six months of local, seasonal vegetables!
Members who choose the bi-weekly pick-up option will be split into two groups to keep our weekly harvests balanced. Some bi-weekly members will begin the last week of May and others will begin the first week of June. We will notify bi-weekly share members in May which group they’re in and their start and end dates.
Note: We request that bi-weekly members stick to their assigned dates. While we can’t accommodate one-off week switches, we’re happy to arrange for an alternate pick-up time at the farm so you don’t miss out if you’re unable to send a friend in your place.
Pick-Up Location Options
Both the on-farm and Salem pick-up sites will be market-style, enabling you to choose your vegetables from the quantities listed.
- Please bring your own bags for bringing home your vegetable.
- We have a swap box for members who choose to trade out an item. Anything you don’t want from your share can be left for donation.
- If you can’t make it to a pick-up, consider offering your share to a friend or neighbor. Just ask them to check in with us upon arrival.
Lebanon Pick-up Option:
= On-farm CSA pick-up will be Wednesday evenings, 3:30pm – 6pm.
Farm Location: 34077 Santiam Hwy, Lebanon, OR 97355
Salem Pick-up Option:
= Salem CSA pick-up will be Tuesday evenings, 4pm – 6pm.
The Salem CSA pick-up location will be in the parking lot in front of the Mission Mill Museum at the Willamette Heritage Center.
Location: 1313 Mill St. SE Salem, OR 97301
Share Payment Options
Membership is $806 for the full season. There are two payment options:
- Single-payment option: Pay $806 at sign-up.
- Two-payment option: Pay $403 at sign-up and remaining $403 by July 31st.
Membership is $468 for the full season. There are two payment options:
- Single-payment option: Pay $468 at sign-up.
- Two-payment option: Pay $234 at sign-up and remaining $234 by July 31st.
Need a different payment option? Shoot us an email with a proposed schedule at email@example.com and we’ll see what we can do!
= Members will be emailed an invoice within 48 hours after submitting the sign-up form. =
We accept checks and cash for payments and we’ve added an online payment option here on our website. Click here to make secure online payments using your Paypal account or debit/credit card for an extra bank fee.
Please sign-up for a share before paying. If you missed the sign-up window click here to get added to the waitlist.
Newsletters & Other Member Resources
In addition to fresh, seasonal vegetables each week, we’ll also have a newsletter updating members on what’s in the share, what’s happening on the farm, and recipe suggestions. The newsletter will be sent directly to members in the weekly member email and will be available here on the Pitchfork & Crow farm updates blog.
- More recipe suggestions available on the Recipe page of our website.
- Storage tips, recipes, and more are also available in the member resources section of our website.
- Sign-up for text reminders and we’ll send a short text at the start of your pick-up.
- Finally, you’ll get access to the private member Facebook group where members often share what they’re cooking up with P&C vegetables.
Other Farm Information
In early October we invite members out to the farm to visit the CSA pumpkin patch and tour the farm. We believe farm visits are a valuable opportunity for you to connect your veggies to a specific place and see how they’re grown. We’ve also found farm open houses to be fun social events where we can get to know members better and members can interact with each other. Specific dates will be announced after the beginning of the season.
The Farm and Farmers
Information about our growing practices, farm location, and farmer backgrounds can be found here.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
Pitchfork & Crow | Lebanon, Oregon | firstname.lastname@example.org | (503) 999-7918 |