November 7, 2016 Update
Winter CSA memberships are full for the moment! Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to be added to the waiting list.
Thanks! Carri & Jeff* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * .
What is Community Supported Agriculture?
CSA’s are supported by community members who pre-pay for a share of the farm harvest. This pre-payment helps provide stable financing for farming operations, allowing farmers to focus on thorough planning and quality care of the soil and crops. A CSA provides members the knowledge of where and how their food is grown. Focused on the local community, a CSA lessens travel time between harvest and cooking, increasing nutritional content and lessening environmental impacts of transportation. CSAs help build local economies and protect valuable farm land from urbanization and poor management.
2016/2017 Pitchfork & Crow Winter CSA
- $386 for 11 weeks of local, seasonal, organic vegetables with pick-up every other week (December thru April.)
- A variety of vegetables, including many open pollinated varieties
- Convenient pick-up at the farm, at the Lebanon Community Hospital, or the COMP-NW campus in Lebanon or near downtown Salem at the Willamette Heritage Center.
- Know your farmers, know your food!
Vegetables & Share Size
Our goal is to provide a diverse mix of seasonal and storage vegetables from week-to-week, including many familiar vegetables and some less familiar varieties. Favorites like carrots, potatoes, and butternut winter squash will make many multiple appearances in the shares and we’ll round out the variety by including less familiar vegetables like kohlrabi, fennel, and celeriac a few times throughout the season. We also try to include fruit whenever possible.
- Our share size should easily feed a family of 4 or 2 vegetable-loving adults.
- A list of the vegetables we are planning for the winter shares can be found here.
- Winter shares are made up of storage crops like potatoes, onions, and winter squash and field crops such as kale, cabbage, and leeks. Note: Winter weather can be rough on vegetables outside and both storage and field crops are higher risks through the winter months.
The Winter CSA season will include 11 weeks of shares, from the week of December 6th thru April 25th, with pick-ups every other week.
Membership is $386. There are two payment options:
- Single-payment option: full $386 by November 1st
- Two-payment option: pay $193 November 1st and $193 by February 1st
Once memberships are confirmed, members will be emailed an invoice.
We’re keeping all of our summer pick-up locations for the 2016/2017 Winter season including pick-up options in Salem and Lebanon! As with the summer season, both the on-farm and Salem pick-up sites will be market-style, enabling you to choose your vegetables from the quantities listed. We’re also keeping pre-boxed CSA pick-up sites for the Winter season to the COMP-NW campus and the Lebanon Community Hospital in Lebanon. See more details below.
- Please bring your own bags for bringing home your vegetables.
- We’ve added a swap box for members who pickup in Salem and at the farm who choose to trade out one share item. Anything else you don’t want from your share can be left for donation.
- If you can’t make it to a pick-up, consider offering your share to a friend or neighbor. Just have them to check in with us upon arrival.
Lebanon Pick-up Options:
1) On-farm CSA pick-up will be Wednesday evenings, 4pm – 6pm.
Farm Location: 34073 Santiam Hwy SE, Lebanon, OR 97355
The on-farm pick-up will be market-style, allowing for more choice when picking up your share.
2) COMP-NW pre-boxed pick-up will be Wednesday afternoons, 1:30pm – 7pm.
This option is only for students and employees at COMP-NW. Shares will be left in boxes inside the student rec. center inside the medical school.
3) Lebanon Community Hospital pre-boxed pick-up will be Wednesday afternoons, 1:30pm – 7pm.
This option is for employees at the Lebanon Community Hospital and other community members who’d like to pick-up pre-boxed shares. Shares will be left in boxes inside the hospital cafeteria.
= Salem CSA pick-up will be Tuesday evenings, 4pm – 6pm.
The Salem CSA pick-up location will be in the parking lot in front of the Mission Mill Museum at the Willamette Heritage Center.
Location: 1313 Mill St. SE Salem, OR 97301
In addition to fresh, seasonal vegetables, we’ll also have a newsletter updating members on what’s in the share, what’s happening on the farm, and recipe suggestions. To avoid wasting paper, the newsletter will be e-mailed directly to members and will be available on the Pitchfork & Crow website.
Come to the farm for a potluck lunch in March! We’ll have more details as the date gets closer, but we promise a farm tour, good food, and great company!
The Farm and Farmers
Information about our growing practices, farm location, and farmer backgrounds can be found here.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
Pitchfork & Crow | Lebanon, Oregon | email@example.com | (503) 999-7920 |