Hello from Pitchfork & Crow~
Whoa!! It’s time for another day at the Salem Saturday Market! Here’s what we plan to bring to market:
- Acorn Squash!!
- Beans (Green, Purple, Yellow!)
- Brussels Sprouts
- Cooking Greens Mix (Kale, Chard, Collards, Cabbage, Parsley)
- Delicata Squash!!
- Kale (Red Russian & Lacinato)
- Onions ( cippoloni & white/red storage onions!!)
- Peppers (green bells, yellow hot wax, red sweets!)
- Potatoes (fingerlings, reds, & yukon golds)
- Pumpkins (minis only)
- Purple Hull Peas
- Summer Squash (yellow straightneck, zucchini, & pattypan – nearing the end!)
- Sweet Onions (sweet & purple torpedoes – last week for these varieties )
- Turnips & Turnip Greens
It’s time to plant garlic for these farmers. After procuring our seed garlic last weekend from Persephone Farm and from Naomi’s Organic Farm Supply in Portland, we’ve been spending our evenings popping the cloves apart. We planted 800 row feet of garlic last fall and don’t feel like it was nearly enough. After losing some to weeds and gophers and using some as green garlic back in June, the amount we ended up with seems lacking. It’s just enough for the CSA and a portion of our planting stock. We’ve learned the lesson at hand and we’re seriously bumping up the stakes. We’re planning to plant eight 250ft beds resulting in around 4000 row feet of garlic for the next year. That’s a lot of garlic. We’re cracking close to 100lbs of seed garlic and our thumbs are weary. Luckily we’ll get a break tomorrow while we’re harvesting for market.
We hope to see you at the Saturday Market between 9am and 3pm. Just don’t ask us to thumb wrestle. The Salem Saturday Market is located at the intersection of Summer and Marion streets NE in downtown Salem.
Carri Heisler and Jeff Bramlett